The distillery at West Cork is very unique in that most of the mashing, fermentation & distilling equipment was handcrafted on site by the team at WCD. No other distillery work force can be so knowledgeable and intimately married to its equipment.
WCD has several notable ways-of-working which all contribute to making the finest quality spirits.
WCD is the most southerly located distillery on the Atlantic Archipelago which provides a unique meso-thermal microclimate for which West Cork is famous and which is ideal for the maturation of Irish whiskey.
- WCD triple distills all its Irish whiskey.
- WCD malts some of its own barley.
- WCD only uses Irish grown grain in the production of its Irish whiskey.
- WCD only uses pot stills in the production of its Irish whiskey.
- WCD only uses spring water in the production of its Irish whiskey (i.e. no treated municipal water is used).
- WCD only half fills its spirit stills in order to allow for maximal copper – spirit vapour interactions which is key to the production of quality Irish whiskey.